Sign in to follow this  
Sakuretsu

Where we are two years later

I will attempt to write an honest review about the server, focusing on the present, things that are going on, rather than things of the past. However, the past may have to be mentioned sometimes, in cases where I cannot relate, as I have been rather inactive.

Server

Server stability: 10/10
Usually when I played for a whole day, I have ever got any lag. Plus, the server has a proxy (proxies?) to choose from for players in another part of the world and give them a better game-play experience.

Availability: 10/10

The server is without a doubt almost always available, with the exception of content updates and occasional necessary bug fixes.

Community

Friendliness: 9/10

This can’t be perfect, but can never be due to the random factor of who is willing to try the server. However, the average player is generally friendly and willing to help newcomers. Despite the rare times that I log on, I happened to be able to help a newbie who had difficulties in obtaining grape juice, which i answered that there is a quest to craft them from one grape and one empty bottle.

Eventfulness: 7/10

Due to the lack of population, and the heavy player requirements on some of the player-run events (battleground matches require 10 minimum, gold room parties are more profitable in a high-count party, especially at 20), it has become difficult to run events. Attempts are being made to start battlegrounds at least once every week.

Game masters

Friendliness: 9/10

The game masters are friendly. If they aren’t, they are simply expelled from the GM team, it’s simple as that, although I have not witnessed this happening directly. The admin is willing to participate in player-run events with a legitimate character.

Availability: 6/10

I cannot say much about availability at the moment, considering that I only stay in the main town for under a minute every day, therefore I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt and give it a passing grade.

Helpfulness: 9/10

The game masters are helpful, or used to be, as I have said previously, I’m not active enough to be able to witness that. Usually they can answer a question that is asked to them.

Game-play

Economy: 6/10

While having a player-run economy is a good thing, it is difficult to maintain with a low population. There are multiple currencies in the server, and the players give each currency an exchange rate. However, a low population does not incite players to create gold room parties, therefore zeny is not made. Similarly, battlegrounds do not start very often, therefore there are no battleground tickets generated. While it is interesting to have many currencies, the server requires player investment into the economy, and it is currently in a state of stall­.

Class balance: 8/10

The classes have many edits to make them simpler to use, more balanced power-wise, and finally, to give each class a distinct role. Some classes have not been worked on yet, but it is a work in progress.

Guild competition: 3/10

This is the server’s sore point and I will be focusing on this one mostly, for the current players and those that wish to join. The current guild competition is pathetic. While there are two guilds that can potentially join in war of emperium, their separate philosophies do not allow competition to happen. One guild recruits mostly newbies and is only willing to join war of emperium if they can win. The other guild, mostly constituting of veterans want to fight and have a good time, but once they join, the other guild leaves, as they believe they cannot win. Therefore the guild of newbies never develop new strategies, and never grows as a guild. Not only that, but the guilds trash talk each-other behind their backs due to events that happened months or sometimes a year back. Myself included, let’s not be hypocritical. What is being said doesn't matter on either end.

@silmarillion @sleeping animals
We could have a much better experience during war of emperium if we both learned to let bygones be bygones. In the admin’s previous server Inertia RO, i was very toxic on the suggestions forums, always causing ridiculous and useless arguments with the admin that led nowhere. Hell we even bitched about the concept of super novices being about “having all first job skills” and “super novices have high wizard skills because high wizards have cold bolt” But he was willing to recruit me as a developer for a short time, and I have been able to create very useful new features, such as an alootid list with no limit, and the ability to store items from the alootid list into the guild storage.

If we can manage to improve the relations between each guild instead of pumping rumors about each other, we could accomplish some awesome feats. We could even organize draft WoEs where a member of each guild is a leader, but they have to choose a co-leader of the other guild to either mentor, or be mentored, and assist them in picking the players to join their team.

I’m certainly over-optimistic about this, but even just letting go of the previous bullshit would be a big step for the guild-competition based part of the community.

Edited by Sakuretsu

14 hours ago, Sakuretsu said:

I happened to be able to help a newbie who had difficulties in obtaining grape juice

LOL...i think that was me asking for the sake of pasta, for some xmas hg quest back then. and thanks again for that! xD

6 hours ago, dirtysin said:

LOL...i think that was me asking for the sake of pasta, for some xmas hg quest back then. and thanks again for that! xD

I shouldve been clearer on that, i was never told who it was that needed help but yeah xD

20 hours ago, Sakuretsu said:

This is the server’s sore point and I will be focusing on this one mostly, for the current players and those that wish to join. The current guild competition is pathetic. While there are two guilds that can potentially join in war of emperium, their separate philosophies do not allow competition to happen. One guild recruits mostly newbies and is only willing to join war of emperium if they can win. The other guild, mostly constituting of veterans want to fight and have a good time, but once they join, the other guild leaves, as they believe they cannot win. Therefore the guild of newbies never develop new strategies, and never grows as a guild. Not only that, but the guilds trash talk each-other behind their backs due to events that happened months or sometimes a year back. Myself included, let’s not be hypocritical. What is being said doesn't matter on either end.

@silmarillion @sleeping animals
We could have a much better experience during war of emperium if we both learned to let bygones be bygones. In the admin’s previous server Inertia RO, i was very toxic on the suggestions forums, always causing ridiculous and useless arguments with the admin that led nowhere. Hell we even bitched about the concept of super novices being about “having all first job skills” and “super novices have high wizard skills because high wizards have cold bolt” But he was willing to recruit me as a developer for a short time, and I have been able to create very useful new features, such as an alootid list with no limit, and the ability to store items from the alootid list into the guild storage.

If we can manage to improve the relations between each guild instead of pumping rumors about each other, we could accomplish some awesome feats. We could even organize draft WoEs where a member of each guild is a leader, but they have to choose a co-leader of the other guild to either mentor, or be mentored, and assist them in picking the players to join their team.

I’m certainly over-optimistic about this, but even just letting go of the previous bullshit would be a big step for the guild-competition based part of the community.

There's no problems between the two guilds, at least not from our end or my end for that matter. Hell, I haven't been as active as I have due to irl obligations and other reasons.  

With that said, I made my guild to focus on WoE at the time to compete against THW. I love a good WoE, which is also why our members have been absent for the last several months/year. 
While they're a few of us still messing around from time to time , that's just it. We're just messing around, which has seem to be enough to face SA in it's current state. Which personally, isn't fun, hence the on and off appearance in WoEs from our end. 

We are, were, a guild that cared for the WoE community, we tried when guilds decided to leave for reasons be by doing Draft WoEs, helping smaller guilds build and rebuild, and continuously helped out the newer players. However, when the efforts seem to have been all for nothing, doing things again is a bit discouraging. 

If there's talks about wanting to work together to make woe interesting, I'd be open for it of course. 

1 hour ago, ValiantLoL said:

There's no problems between the two guilds, at least not from our end or my end for that matter. Hell, I haven't been as active as I have due to irl obligations and other reasons.  

@Seuvagem @Elkkira plz confirm.

4 hours ago, Bowo said:

I have literally no idea what you're talking about. All I did say once during gold room was for more people not to join SA when they were dominant(aka Silm wasn't even bothering showing up). Basically to form some kind of non-silmarillion guild to compete against SA. Which directly correlates to saku's point.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:51 PM, Sakuretsu said:

And yes, I do trash talk. A lot less than other silm members and a lot more in the public eye.

The problem you speak of I have absolutely 0 idea of what it is. Please elaborate, because apparently I'm out of the loop of a problem I had no idea existed.

11 hours ago, Seuvagem said:

I have literally no idea what you're talking about. All I did say once during gold room was for more people not to join SA when they were dominant(aka Silm wasn't even bothering showing up). Basically to form some kind of non-silmarillion guild to compete against SA. Which directly correlates to saku's point.

And yes, I do trash talk. A lot less than other silm members and a lot more in the public eye.

The problem you speak of I have absolutely 0 idea of what it is. Please elaborate, because apparently I'm out of the loop of a problem I had no idea existed.

image.png.402643fbe1114adfdd7f796169939f90.png

image.png.d79f9c8502ca46275f4437d2c52488af.png

image.png.2a742c432781f286b2e9863b65bcea8c.png

image.png.0a283231ac4bac522586d3f5582ead7c.png

u right

Edited by siswa

Instead of blatantly trying to get a reaction from my guild member, how about we stick to the topic or you know, try to look at everything else i said, including the original topic here of what we can do to improve scores on Sakus post.  @Bowo @siswa

Considering what @Seuvagem has told me and what I've seen first hand, it seems more like a personal problem than anything, so leave petty aside, because i personally don't care what problems either of you may have with one another. With that, i won't be replying any more unnecessary comments on this post.

As i originally said, my main concern is WoE, and at the moment, there is no woe scene on Anomaly, with the current state of it that is. It's been an off and on again issue where one guild dominates and the competition just gives up and doesn't bother showing up. The dominant guild gets bored and disappears. Of course, i do understand to some extent why the weaker guild wouldn't want to show up anymore but with the current state of things, it's been pretty even in terms of numbers. The issue i'm seeing is lack of experience or understanding of how to properly woe/counter, even with the low number woe's we've seen from both ends. 
And i don't mean to sound rude, but what I've seen is, if Silm decides to woe for weeks, it ends up to maybe 1 or even 2 members showing up from opposing guild, which have been none at some points because of. . .? I'm assuming discouragement. Which leads me to believe, and I've seen it, once we disappear for a bit, the opposing guild shows up again. 

To resolve it, I do think a good woe is better than defending or attacking empty castles for a more enjoyable experience, is definitively doing Draft WoEs.

The idea I had was to hold a Draft WoE with two leaders. Not necessarily SA Lead or Silm Lead; they can nominate themselves and if there's too many we can randomize the two-three leaders depending the size of the WoE.  But the idea is, two people who take the initiative to lead WoE will then draft people one by one. Those people who will participate in WoE would before hand up vote that they will be in WoE, and that will be the player pool to grab from.  The draft woe leaders will/can assign the guild leader of their choosing to ecall, restore, shot call , etc. or they can do it themselves if they wish to. Players who would want to woe, will post the class they want to play for woe at latest an hour before the drafting begins in order for the two draft leaders to have an idea what they're drafting to form some sort of composition. 

Rewards for WoEing will obviously be woe drops, including berries. Number of drops earned depends who holds the Main castle at the end. Winning side of a main will get more, where as side castle will get less. 

Fragments gained from holding castles should then be deposited into some sort of guild Draft vault which will be transformed into woe drops to be given out for woe rewards purposes so there's some sort of income to the participants of WoE. 

I would personally fund said vault early on since it would help start the econ of a Draft WoE Vault so as people do Draft Woes, the more Draft WoEs and participants, means the more it'll build and rewards will go up for participants. Drops from castles during the off days would go into said vault, and build the economy up for when more people participate in draft woe.

Of Course, draft woe doesn't have to be an every woe thing, it can be for Yuno/Mardol WoEs only- since those are 2.0 WoE days. We could also just do Payon/Yuno Draft or Prontera/Mardol Draft. Some sort of mix, which can be decided on in a later date if people like this idea. I personally would prefer 2.0 Drafts, since i see them as the most fun. 

Anyways, let me know what you guys think.

6 minutes ago, ValiantLoL said:

The idea I had was to hold a Draft WoE with two leaders. Not necessarily SA Lead or Silm Lead; they can nominate themselves and if there's too many we can randomize the two-three leaders depending the size of the WoE.  But the idea is, two people who take the initiative to lead WoE will then draft people one by one. Those people who will participate in WoE would before hand up vote that they will be in WoE, and that will be the player pool to grab from.  The draft woe leaders will/can assign the guild leader of their choosing to ecall, restore, shot call , etc. or they can do it themselves if they wish to. Players who would want to woe, will post the class they want to play for woe at latest an hour before the drafting begins in order for the two draft leaders to have an idea what they're drafting to form some sort of composition. 

An idea i had in mind was to have the leaders select someone of the opposite guild as co-lead for aiding in the selection of team members and mentorship, however that would only work if we assume that there will only ever be 2 guilds.

A number of the replies here are pretty much just proving the point in the initial post; let's keep things constructive here, because ultimately the goal should be to help keep the server up, not fuel unnecessary personal conflicts.

That being said, I think the draft WoE is a good idea - having heard from people on both sides, I think part of the problem is the power gap between the guilds, whether that be down to gear or simply experience. As Valiant mentioned, this can get pretty discouraging for both sides - one side wants a challenge, the other feels that it's unfairly matched, and this can often lead to issues outside of just the poor WoE experience as well.

A draft WoE would help address two of these points; first of all it'd make WoE feel more fair and engaging for both sides, and second of all it encourages cooperation between the two guilds which is desperately needed when the server population is struggling. Players won't always get along, and that's fine, but if you care about the server and its growth then it's time to put that aside and find a way to make things work. This goes for more than just WoE as well; the community as a whole needs to come together and make an effort so the server can start to grow again.

Obviously my sleeping schedule is pretty messed up, but I'd be happy to join any draft WoEs that I'm available for on my barely geared High Wizard.

24 minutes ago, ValiantLoL said:

I personally would prefer 2.0 Drafts, since i see them as the most fun. 

Since part of the goal is to help train newer players and give them some experience in WoE, I think a mix of both would be preferable. This may just be me, but I think 2.0 is a lot more confusing for players that don't have much WoE experience; FE strips it down to just GvG engagements and a single objective, which can make it easier to learn things like proper stacking and zone control without having to worry about everything else.

13 minutes ago, Sakuretsu said:

An idea i had in mind was to have the leaders select someone of the opposite guild as co-lead for aiding in the selection of team members and mentorship, however that would only work if we assume that there will only ever be 2 guilds.

I think this is a great idea, both for the cooperation I mentioned above, and for what you said with the mentorship - it'll help to train some players to lead WoE as well, rather than just participate in it, as well as providing additional insight on various strategies.

I'd say it's a fair assumption that there'll only be 2 guilds when doing draft WoEs; I imagine if the server got to the point of being able to sustain 3 full sized guilds, it likely wouldn't be necessary to run drafts anymore, though some cooperation may still be nice to keep rosters even when needed.

Something else I'd like to add to this, is that for any players who are interested in WoE (or just keeping the server alive in general), participating in other things around the server will make it a lot easier to retain new players and build up a more WoE-ready playerbase. The biggest examples of this would be the Gold Room (especially when newbies can join) and Battlegrounds, though even simply sitting in town while tabbed helps by showing newbies that there's a playerbase. Even just seeing some indication of an active playerbase, whether it's afk or not, can make a huge difference in whether or not a newbie stays, and every newbie that stays is a potential WoE recruit once they've geared up.

I miss playing WoE. I really like the idea of Draft to help promote the WoE scene. I think once population goes back up and guilds start to form it should remain a once or twice a week type of thing. Mixes things up. Really good ideas. Good Post Saku.  I think it would help to have it scheduled almost like an event to even get the word out about it, but would people just come for the one time and think its a one and done? 

On 12/30/2019 at 1:09 PM, Bowo said:

14 hours ago, siswa said:

image.png.402643fbe1114adfdd7f796169939f90.png

image.png.d79f9c8502ca46275f4437d2c52488af.png

image.png.2a742c432781f286b2e9863b65bcea8c.png

image.png.0a283231ac4bac522586d3f5582ead7c.png

u right

Lol, personally trying to attack someone on a post meant to encourage productivity.

I don’t know if its just me, but these screen shots a missing a lot of context? Maybe cut out to hide your hypocrisy? Dunno

Well, heres the constructive part of my post.

On a server that I assume only has maybe 15 people that are on (I don’t know I don’t play anymore), regardless of what that number maybe, a draft woe would hurt the server more than help I feel like. No matter how you hide it, the server’s community had always had dislikes with each other. I feel like the players won’t be able to set aside their differences to woe their “rivals”. I can just imagine the finger pointing after each draft woes.

As far which castle, FE woes are full of spawn in choke point strats which are not fun to deal with. SE however only has 1 spawn in strat which is the entrance. Once that formation is broken, it hard for defending team to regain the strat. However, as pointed above, newbies tend to have confusions with SE with the main confusion being the flag ins. I think a text bubble that “reminds defender members to use the flags” on flags would be helpful. But as I have lead a fresh newbie guild before, most newbies do not read..

Uh just to make it clear

A few people seems to have the wrong impression of Sleeping Animals. SA is meant to be a troll guild, not competitive which is why the members are free to use whatever classes they want. We do not force them to use different classes to GvG's advantage.

We only came back  to be active months ago just to help newbies up on drops . We don't mind losing actually. Few of the members here whom joined are actually PvPers just going for kills. In fact, I actually miss the time when SA were so small it slipped through 2 main guilds' defense line for fun despite losing. 

In the end, regarding guilds. It all depends on the vision of the particular guilds. Whether they want to WoE or not, it depends on their own decision.

If someone is dissatisfy with the current WoE situation, perhaps that someone could form his own guild to encourage more people to join? After all, what we actually need to do now is reach out to the newbies to ensure they  enjoy their stay and not get bored from the server to increase the population. If any SA members decide to go competitive, they are free to move to a competitive guild btw. O/

On 1/1/2020 at 8:25 AM, Yuji said:

Y'alls monkeys

CHINATOWN.gif.e60c9ae4f8e2166c9adeb8ce5293177f.gif

hashire sori yo

kaze no you ni

tsukimihara wo

PADORU PADORU

Edited by Elkkira

1 hour ago, Elkkira said:

Uh just to make it clear

A few people seems to have the wrong impression of Sleeping Animals. SA is meant to be a troll guild, not competitive which is why the members are free to use whatever classes they want. We do not force them to use different classes to GvG's advantage.

We only came back  to be active months ago just to help newbies up on drops . We don't mind losing actually. Few of the members here whom joined are actually PvPers just going for kills. In fact, I actually miss the time when SA were so small it slipped through 2 main guilds' defense line for fun despite losing. 

In the end, regarding guilds. It all depends on the vision of the particular guilds. Whether they want to WoE or not, it depends on their own decision.

If someone is dissatisfy with the current WoE situation, perhaps that someone could form his own guild to encourage more people to join? After all, what we actually need to do now is reach out to the newbies to ensure they ensure their stay and not get bored from the server to increase the population. If any SA members decide to go competitive, they are free to move to a competitive guild btw. O/

The fact remains that your guild stops showing up and downright logs off whenever we start logging on to fight.

The moment SA found itself with more than half castles, it has become a WoE guild. It is an organization of enough members to be able to wipe out single player guilds to secure castles for itself. It is no longer a troll guild no matter how much you wish it still was. As helpful as it may be for newbies gear up to have castles for free, it is definitely not the way WoE is supposed to go, the server is missing one of it's dimensions and it's the WoE scene.

I'd be down to join draft WoEs if there are any Saturday or Sunday evening (server time) for the hell of it 🙋‍♀️
Or BG. . .

22 hours ago, Yuji said:

Y'alls monkeys

CHINATOWN.gif.e60c9ae4f8e2166c9adeb8ce5293177f.gif

11 hours ago, Sakuretsu said:

The fact remains that your guild stops showing up and downright logs off whenever we start logging on to fight.

The moment SA found itself with more than half castles, it has become a WoE guild. It is an organization of enough members to be able to wipe out single player guilds to secure castles for itself. It is no longer a troll guild no matter how much you wish it still was. As helpful as it may be for newbies gear up to have castles for free, it is definitely not the way WoE is supposed to go, the server is missing one of it's dimensions and it's the WoE scene.

You can bring out rigid definitions but if a guild doesn't want to woe "the way you want" then it's not going to do so. Every player has the right to play the game whatever way they want. If they happened to get castles since WoE was inactive - it is what it is. Stop forcing players/groups of people to "play the game" how you want it to be played and then make them feel bad/guilt trip them for not "woe-ing" how woe is supposed to go. SA has proven many times it will do as it pleases and I suppose that is the appeal (and why many people have joined it currently and in the past). Address the actual issue and run ads to get more players into the game; change the platform of the economy so that it isn't reliant on GR of 20+; lessen the number of players required for BG matches and reduce the tickets. There are people that aren't going to play with each other - or woe the way you want. The real issue is the population and having enough people to participate in "WoE" the way you'd like while giving other players the freedom to play as they'd like.

11 hours ago, Sakuretsu said:

Silma did this with THW. Something about numbers. How is that less valid than if SA wants to log of and not want to woe? From the outside, this looks like a lot of high horsing and downright condescending to the other guild/group of players. If they actually don't want to WoE - what use is planning draft woes? I think if they decided to take castles, mess around, get drops - that still doesn't mean they owe anyone anything.

Edited by Erollercoaster

9 hours ago, Erollercoaster said:

You can bring out rigid definitions but if a guild doesn't want to woe "the way you want" then it's not going to do so. Every player has the right to play the game whatever way they want.

Want rigid definitions? Let's read IROwiki.

The War of Emperium is a game feature that allows guilds to fight in order to conquer a Castle to be the headquarters for the guild, and get benefits and special advantages.

This isn't about MY definitions of WoE, it's about how it was DESIGNED to be played. It's about how it's played in all other servers. We, as a playerbase, have to get our shit together to improve the state of the server.

If they happened to get castles since WoE was inactive - it is what it is. Stop forcing players/groups of people to "play the game" how you want it to be played and then make them feel bad/guilt trip them for not "woe-ing" how woe is supposed to go. SA has proven many times it will do as it pleases and I suppose that is the appeal (and why many people have joined it currently and in the past).

Again, it's how the game was designed to be played. If the game mode wasn't about guilds fighting each-other to take control of castles, PVP mode would be off, the rules wouldn't involve the breaking of an emperium, and who knows what the game would actually have been about. This isn't about WoEing the way I want it to be played, it's about server health. I want to improve the score that I and others would give to WoE competition instead of giving it a 3/10. I don't review to give points for free, i do it to give an accurate picture of the server I play on.

Also?

On 12/31/2019 at 2:01 PM, ValiantLoL said:

Players who would want to woe, will post the class they want to play for woe at latest an hour before the drafting begins in order for the two draft leaders to have an idea what they're drafting to form some sort of composition. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Address the actual issue and run ads to get more players into the game; change the platform of the economy so that it isn't reliant on GR of 20+; lessen the number of players required for BG matches and reduce the tickets. There are people that aren't going to play with each other - or woe the way you want. The real issue is the population and having enough people to participate in "WoE" the way you'd like while giving other players the freedom to play as they'd like.

Reminder, this is a review, the economical problems have been noted and explained. The focus is on improving WoE.

On 12/29/2019 at 4:51 PM, Sakuretsu said:

Economy: 6/10

While having a player-run economy is a good thing, it is difficult to maintain with a low population. There are multiple currencies in the server, and the players give each currency an exchange rate. However, a low population does not incite players to create gold room parties, therefore zeny is not made. Similarly, battlegrounds do not start very often, therefore there are no battleground tickets generated. While it is interesting to have many currencies, the server requires player investment into the economy, and it is currently in a state of stall­.

There is not one issue but multiple, and that is "just" another issue. Notice that the "guild competition" section exists within RMS reviews. If we even had 2 guilds that actually tried to fight each other i would probably have set a 6/10

Silma did this with THW. Something about numbers.

Except they leave even when we have similar numbers. We were a linker, priest and creator during one of the weeks.

When 2 guilds do their best to gather all of their members and one guild almost gets twice the amount of members every week into 2 guilds, it is demoralizing, let me tell you that. That was the issue during the THW age.

How is that less valid than if SA wants to log of and not want to woe? From the outside, this looks like a lot of high horsing and downright condescending to the other guild/group of players. If they actually don't want to WoE - what use is planning draft woes? I think if they decided to take castles, mess around, get drops - that still doesn't mean they owe anyone anything.

If they "actually don't want to WoE" they should never be trying to hold castles in the first place and put one skill point into casual guild. And besides let's speak numbers for a bit. I have been holding one castle for little over a month. Let's compare my stats to SA's stats with 9 castles in 3 months.

image.png.e09e2103992ee1cfe9e7bdcd783d6a50.png

Now there is no way to know their precise amount of woe drops, but we can evaluate. They should have at least 180 per castle, because 3 months. And they posessed 9 castles most of the time, sometimes 10, sometimes lost castles. 9 x 180 = 1620 WoE drops. We can assume the losses have been rebalanced by the higher econ on SA side. Divide this by 7 and you have 231 god items. That is enough god items for... 77 members, assuming that they each want a gear set of 3 items.

In theory they should not even need more castle drops, and should not even need to keep holding the castles. So i guess it's about the ygg berries and seeds and DB boxes???

Edited by Sakuretsu

WoE drops? Lol
SA/NAT/THW/Silm all have unlimited number - esp when guilds where ghosting each other and not WoEing.

At the end of the day, if they don't want to do it --they aren't going to do it. Maybe stop focusing so much on theorizing why they SHOULD and think of another way address the issues you've highlighted.

To improve woe is to improve the economic/server life/population (first imo) You can't go backwards.

Edited by Erollercoaster

3 minutes ago, Erollercoaster said:

To improve woe is to improve the economic/server life/population (first imo) You can't go backwards.

And to improve the economic/server life/population there must atleast be a semblance of WoE going on, it's a whole loop, not a one way ticket.

There are BGers, WoErs and PVMers in RO. At present we can only retain two of the categories of players.

Edited by Sakuretsu

I think it'd be best for the topic to stay focused on the potential solution(s) rather than the causes of the problem, as it'll quickly get personal/heated if fingers are being pointed. If there's other ideas it'd be great to hear them, but it'd also probably be a good idea to (either here on the forums or elsewhere) get a feel for how many people would be interested in doing draft WoEs so they can be arranged.

14 hours ago, Erollercoaster said:

Address the actual issue and run ads to get more players into the game; change the platform of the economy so that it isn't reliant on GR of 20+; lessen the number of players required for BG matches and reduce the tickets.

There seem to be some very common misunderstandings when people bring some of these issues up, so I'm going to address them here.

Running ads costs money. I'm already paying out of my own pocket to even keep the server up in the first place, because I want to keep it running for the players; it's making zero profit, or more accurately, a fair amount of losses at the moment, so there's no budget to be put into ads beyond the RMS ads that I'm already paying for. Right now the single most effective way to market the server would be having players post reviews on RMS (including older player reposting their reviews every 5-6 months, as they no longer count in the rankings after 6 months), but we've asked for this many times and most players refuse to step up and help with this while simultaneously complaining about the server population. Unlike a lot of servers (especially in the SHR category), we don't intend to cheat with reviews, so we're left being reliant on a playerbase that doesn't want to take 3 minutes to write a quick review and help the server move up the ranks again.

GR doesn't need 20+ people to be effective (and can't even have more than 20 in the first place), it's already an effective way to farm Zeny with 8-10 people. And there's other ways to farm Zeny solo, the most accessible option being Forgotten Forest. Adding ways to consistently solo farm Zeny at the same rate as a 10+ GR party would 1) make Gold Room absolutely useless (hurts community) and 2) make Zeny absolutely worthless in the long run (the problem our old server had). In others words it'd be a short term band-aid fix with long term negative impacts on the economy, and ultimately wouldn't improve much anyway because the problem with the economy is more so lack of active players/trade in general, not a lack of Zeny income (newbies don't need nearly as much Zeny to be competitive as some may think).

The current Battlegrounds modes don't in any way support less than 10 people. The exceptions to this are Team Deathmatch (as it's effectively just GvG as opposed to objective based) and, to some extent, Bossnia (3 on flag, 1 on MVP), but a lot of players don't like TDM as it is, and would quickly get tired of Bossnia if that was the only other option to play 4v4. We're working on adding custom modes designed specifically for 4v4s, at which time the required queue will be reduced to 8, but that's going to take time because aside from planning the ideas, I'm going to be the person doing 100% of the work to implement them, which will very likely include a requirement of custom maps, and when the server is losing money as mentioned above, I'm not able to work on it full time. In any case, it is something we're actively working on at the very least.

I'm doing my best to work on the server and implement as many improvements as I can. I'm paying for it myself and taking the losses while effectively working 2-3 jobs at a time. It's time for the community to step up and do their part too if they want to see the server stay alive, which is what this topic should be about. RMS reviews, sitting in town to make the server look more active, helping newbies settle in by answering questions / showing them around, participating in things like draft WoEs, all of these are things that will help the server grow again if they're done consistently - and all of them are things that rely on the community stepping up.