Sign in to follow this  
Yuji

A suggestion regarding the state of PvP, and it's future

So, let me just start by saying: Yes, we aren't currently focused towards PvP in the server. Development at the moment is geared more towards BG & WoE, but also adding custom content. However despite this, there are still players here who enjoy and wish to PvP more often.

Sadly though however it's a bit rough, what with the balance at the moment being geared towards BG & WoE, it leaves a lot of classes feeling helpless in PvP versus things such as Champion and Sin X (considered the top dogs atm), or even High Wizards, depending on the player. But, that's actually not the whole of the cause for the current state of the server's lack of initiative with PvPing between it's players.

In my honest opinion, I believe that the Ranking System plays a big part in why people do not want to PvP or even consider trying new things. Think about it. While it can in theory be motivating to try and place into the top ranks to receive rewards (and a huge ego boost), it can also have the opposite effect. Basically, it adds a sort of stigma to the idea of PvPing freely when everyone is worried about their personal KDA scores and placements on the ranking ladder.

Let's say for example, you, a slightly geared or even considered veteran player are looking to PvP but no one is really joining the room. A newer less-experienced player hops in to see what's going on, and this creates a situation in your mind where you immediately consider getting free ranking off of them.
For the newbie, this also can be  demotivating. Though you could just attribute that to the gear and experience gap, seeing that you're feeding someone a high score can make you not even want to bother with trying to PvP again because it just feels "stressful" to try and learn when you're basically boosting unwillingly.

Even in a situation between two veteran players, someone placing decently high on the ladder through whatever means, they create this mindset that they need to maintain their rank for whatever reason and don't wanna go into PvP again unless it looks favorable to them (Easy matchup, lesser knowledgeable players, etc). In the case of newbies playing around in the PvP room, it's usually cool, until said veteran players see the ranking announcements and immediately recognize an opportunity to rank up. (Of course this doesn't go for everyone. I usually go in and try to help out new PvP players, personally.)

So, what exactly am I actually suggesting here? (Yeah that was a long rant. Sorry.)
My suggestion isn't something like to remove the PvP ranking system or its rewards, as that's clearly an embedded part of the server already. It's quite simply to just add an alternative PvP room, one that doesn't count kills or deaths towards the monthly/weekly rankings. In other words....

A Free For All PvP Arena. 

In a scenario where no one is worried about rankings or their ego being shattered as they fall down the ladder, PvP could potentially be far more enticing to take part in.  Not to mention, because no one is obsessed with their score or how good they appear to look, it's a lot more encouraging of true PvP nature - That is, everyone for themselves. Not sitting and spectating duels and nonsense of that sort... I know it's sort of cliche and redundant, but PvP is Player versus Player. Why does everyone sit around asking to fight or begging others to join in PvP? It's the ranking ladder. 

In a FFA environment, you can just hop in and have a blast. There's nothing to fret over. At the end of the day, player interactions will still depend on each individual, but I do honestly believe this will create a better PvP environment for new players and veterans alike to just participate in battle and have fun with each other. Yeah, there's BG and WoE, but.... Let's be real.

BG is just PvP without mechanics. WoE is GvG.

So let's give PvP a little love, too. 

Show your support, PvP bros!

Edited by Yuji

+1 for a separate room so people have to choice to pvp for rank or to enjoy that which is pvp with out worry of "o gawd my rank went up, incoming ranked player to destroy me"

+1 ~ For sure would stabilize one of my favorite parts of the game in general. I being on both ends of the spectrum, once being that newbie going in to get help and also now the one debating (most likely) killing anyone unknown for the points. Like many other games have done, separating competitive from casual PvP, I agree, would definitely liven up the scene that currently only consists of a handful of people.

My word, I knew you would make this post much better than me. Perfectly hitting all the vital points. Had to log in as soon as I seen this.

+1mil to this and if I can add, it would be cool to make the room have a different  or unique look. ^.~

+1000..

this can help make pvp more encouraging to partake in since there are no negatives that come w/ dying.

if more ppl who arent pvp-oriented actually PvP in this suggested mode then they can become more accustomed to armor/garment/hg swaps since you can see damage unlike BG/WoE which might = an increase in skill level i hope

+1 
I used to be one of those players that as soon as I the ladder move or saw people in the room I'd log in my wizard and kill at least two people before I died, thanks newbies. Champs are pretty easy to kill btw ;)

Prepped for the next update. PvP will be split into pvp_ranked and pvp_unranked for @go to avoid players accidentally entering the wrong room if they don't realize there's two of them.

The map will be the same as the current PvP room to make it an "accurate" practice location, though we may get a custom PvP map in the future when development starts to shift more in that direction.

Spoiler

@Yuji

317942730.jpg.a2f6eb984bbc3ddc4f258b06f97b389a.jpg