Sign in to follow this  
lkjewq

WoE Rewards Re-Work

I have stated this numerous times but the current reward system for WoE is busted in that it incentivizes guilds to only play for the castle at the end of WoE.  Here are some symptoms of this system:

• Guilds show up extremely late to WoE (we're talking last 10 minutes here) to run over the side castle.
  • Guilds compete for the main castle all WoE then flee to the secondary castle at the end if they're unsuccessful.
  • Any guild that isn't the second best or nearly the second best is guaranteed to end WoE without any rewards.

All of these are bad for WoE if we want there to be more than N guilds for a WoE with N castles.

Proposed Solution (limited economic effect):

• Cut treasure drop rate in half (the WoE drop rate) and provide the projected amount of WoE drops (rounded up to account for econ building throughout the week) at the castle's current economy to the leader of the guild who held the castle the longest at the end of WoE.
    • The result is this:
      • Half of the current amount of drops go to the owner of the castle at the end of WoE
      • The other half of the current amount of drops go to the guild that held the castle the longest.

I'll be honest, I don't have another good solution for this at the moment since any sort of grading via kills/deaths would lead to toxic behavior in WoE that is not objective focused.  The only thing I could get behind with kill-wise is some sort of system that could detect when a guild wipes another guild (away from a portal) as I think encouraging GvGs and fighting between the guilds rather than a mad dash for the emperium is a good thing.  Any effort to implement this kind of a system would be difficult and could probably be gamed if you knew the specifics.

I think that splitting the drops in half may be a bit much (because those drops are often used for salary, and cutting them in half could potentially hurt a guild's ability to pay salary and/or recruit effectively), though separating at least a portion of them to be used as rewards for performance during WoE does sound like a good idea. We could potentially add a few more drops to the weekly circulation as well (for example a 75%/33% split so a few more drops are given out per week), since demand will probably go up a bit over time as more epic gear quests are added anyway.

You mention giving the entire pool of separated drops to the guild that held the castle the longest; another idea that might give newer/smaller guilds a bit more of an opportunity would be to instead give X amount of drops per 5 (or 10) minutes that the castle is held. It'd be more complicated to code but perhaps a better way of distributing them, plus it has the added benefit of guilds not giving up as soon as the 30 minute mark is passed.

I'd love to hear some more feedback on this from other players, as I do think changing the current rewards system could lead to some big improvements in the overall WoE scene, especially with regards to giving newer/smaller guilds a chance at rewards for participating (even if they ultimately lose in the end).

Moving rewards to defending the castle as opposed to holding would also counter another bad mechanic and gimmick, the hostage rebreaking using alt guilds, as you would litterally get nothing as a guild if you kept doing that (on top of destroying economy). For this aspect alone I am fully in favour of the change

47 minutes ago, Perry the Platypus said:

I think that splitting the drops in half may be a bit much (because those drops are often used for salary, and cutting them in half could potentially hurt a guild's ability to pay salary and/or recruit effectively), though separating at least a portion of them to be used as rewards for performance during WoE does sound like a good idea. We could potentially add a few more drops to the weekly circulation as well (for example a 75%/33% split so a few more drops are given out per week), since demand will probably go up a bit over time as more epic gear quests are added anyway.

Right now, as it is, no-one except the strongest guild gets anything during SE and that was very clearly a deterrent whenever guilds became "too busy" to WoE vs NATG in our first go-around here.  I think them not getting any drops despite competing was a big deterrent (as seen by the SE WoEs being the first casualty and then FE WoEs).  Splitting the drops allows for more guilds to get a piece of the pie without the winners getting everything and the losers getting nothing.  I don't particularly think cutting the end-amount of drops from castles is a bad thing as long as they are obtainable through other mechanics and they are not exclusive.  There is nothing exclusive about holding a castle for 30 minutes and then holding it at the end of WoE as there may be with breaking the Emperium 3 times and holding the castle at the end of WoE.

47 minutes ago, Perry the Platypus said:

You mention giving the entire pool of separated drops to the guild that held the castle the longest; another idea that might give newer/smaller guilds a bit more of an opportunity would be to instead give X amount of drops per 5 (or 10) minutes that the castle is held. It'd be more complicated to code but perhaps a better way of distributing them, plus it has the added benefit of guilds not giving up as soon as the 30 minute mark is passed.

Sure, giving some drops per N minutes held is a pretty good idea too.  You could also add mid-WoE announcements for certain milestones and when the drops would be received to add more urgency/competitiveness to denying/obtaining the drops.  Action should spike around those intervals if everyone is aware of them.

Prepped for the next update.

Since there aren't enough drops per castle to really split them up, this will be added on top of the existing system (so the current castle drops will be unaffected), with the new system giving fragments that can later be traded in for full WoE drops at the WoE Manager NPC.