Sign in to follow this  
freddo

Rule Clarification

Alright so, straight to the point, 

Apparently, it's not fine to have "Tits", "Shitstorm", "Shit", "She said she was 18" etc.. as Party name, Guild title, Character name, because it'd be offensive to whoever reads it, but, it's OKAY, or "worth a warning", to say THAT

https://imgur.com/a7faFC3

In main chat, and then say "Nigger", "Nigga" etc.. in main town, because people won't find it offensive, and we're all adults on the server..

https://puu.sh/z0fCj/cb616c8158.png

https://puu.sh/z0fJx/861e2eb818.jpg

https://puu.sh/z0fN1/3710285daf.jpg

https://puu.sh/z0fPT/b40112755d.png

https://puu.sh/z0fJ9/0a48e39c3e.png

So i'm wondering, how do we know which is fine, and which is not.

Asking the GMs to say what they have to say about it.

Special thought for my boy Kenny, May you be back.

freddo.

Edited by freddo

I'm gonna chime in and say I've seen sexual innuendos AND foreign-phrases/words as IGNs that are against the rules and are against the lines of what freddo listed. I haven't seen anything done about them because I don't think it applies if it's in a different language or people just don't seem to want to check what the names actually mean.

Regarding that last bit about "incidents being okay so long as they're in another language" stated by Ambition:  In the past (old Inertia), this was also the case, and in some cases, people who have done this have gone weeks, months, and even years before being "caught", but once "caught" (perhaps someone finally Googled or another native speaker joined and sounded the alarm) they were forced to change their name.  Perry's rule of thumb was always that "If you have to second guess if someone interpreting the language would find it offensive or not, it's probably best not to use that name <3"... I'm pretty sure I've seen him state such here on ARO as well, so I'd assume it's still the case.

Generally, you ought to take this advice seriously.  Particularly if we eventually start seeing events, achievements or quests that start passively adding stats, buffs and other unique bindings to the said character as rewards... If you make a questionable character, you might last weeks, months or maybe years before someone sounds the alarm and you're caught, but if you're caught and forced to delete, name change and potentially lose all the buffs/stats/unique attributes of that character, you'll only have yourself to blame and you'll have to cut your losses.  Perhaps a rather expensive option of a "Name Change Ticket" could be useful, requiring a hefty sum of either Zeny, BG Points or something else as opposed to recreation; especially since one of the server's goals is to invest in your characters.

Essentially, it's political correctness.  I can't say it's a system I've ever agreed with and probably never will, but that's the road that Perry chose to pave for his servers, and until he says otherwise, you ought to be mindful.

Topic title was changed because the original one was misleading.

Anyways, I'll start with a clarification to your first paragraph, and an answer to your question about how to know what's fine and what isn't. Character/guild/party names (and titles etc) have stricter standards than main/public chat (this distinction is made in rule 5). Main chat doesn't have the same rules as it did on the previous server - it's judged primarily by rules 1, 2, and 4. Each of the names you listed would be fine in global chat channels, so long as they weren't in breach of rule 4.

As far as specifics go:

• Public Chat - Based solely on context. So long as you're being respectful of those around you, there won't be an issue. The only specific restriction here would be blatantly racist statements. To clarify on the current context, "nigger" would be against the rules, "nigga" would be determined contextually as it has more than one meaning. I'm not exactly a fan of there being a difference between the two, but that's how language has evolved, so that's how it's handled.
  • Global Chat Channels - Largely the same as public chat, but since everyone in the server sees it, global channels are held to a slightly higher standard - so "nigga" isn't allowed here, though the severity of the case is still determined contextually. This is mainly just to avoid things getting out of hand, as they often do in broader communication channels.
  • Private/Guild/Party Chat - Say whatever you want as long as you're not intentionally harassing/attacking the recipient(s).
  • Names (Char, Guild, Forum, etc) - See rule 5 for specifics, but basically if it has swearing/sexual references or breaches rule 1, it's not allowed.
  • Forums - See Public Chat. Same rules apply here.

Regarding the report itself, as you were told in-game, the player in question was given a warning. The same type of warnings we gave for each of the character names you listed, even when, let's be honest here, giving a warning for some of them was generous. If the player continues to breach the rules, it'll be dealt with accordingly, in the same way we do with anyone else on the server. No double standards, no special treatment. Rules are enforced in the same manner for everyone on the server, regardless of whether or not they know me.

For reference by the way, you may want to read the player report guidelines:

On 11/29/2017 at 12:48 PM, Perry the Platypus said:

Also, do not edit out the context or intentionally time the screenshots to only show certain parts of the incident.

Not exactly relevant in this case since there wasn't anything particularly special in the logs anyway, but including the context and not cropping out specific lines does give a bit more credibility to the report.

4 hours ago, Ambition said:

I'm gonna chime in and say I've seen sexual innuendos AND foreign-phrases/words as IGNs that are against the rules and are against the lines of what freddo listed. I haven't seen anything done about them because I don't think it applies if it's in a different language or people just don't seem to want to check what the names actually mean.

We've dealt with every single name we've seen, including multiple outside of the list in the initial post. If you've seen others that haven't been changed yet you're more than welcome to report them, but what you're saying about nothing being done about them is false. As far as non-English names, we check them when we have reason to suspect them of being inappropriate or when someone reports it, but we don't know every language, and Google Translate doesn't typically do well with slang and/or alternate spellings in many cases. Translating every single name would potentially be quite time consuming anyway, especially once the server grows. In other words, we do what we can, but part of this relies on the community speaking out if they see something we haven't caught yet.

3 hours ago, Hylian Spectre said:

Essentially, it's political correctness.  I can't say it's a system I've ever agreed with and probably never will, but that's the road that Perry chose to pave for his servers, and until he says otherwise, you ought to be mindful.

Most people that know me personally also know that I'm very against political correctness. My intent has never been to police speech, which is why public chat rules have always been pretty loose (and also why global chat rules here are looser than they were previously). I do think that names should be held to a higher standard though, and that distinction is primarily made because other players can respectfully ask you to refrain from certain language in chat while they're nearby, but they can't do that with character/guild names. It's really just a matter of general respect / common courtesy as opposed to word policing - so long as players are being respectful I'm not too concerned about the specific language being used in public chat.

Sign in to follow this