Perry the Platypus

Server Closing Date (May 15)

Hi everyone.

To skip right to the main point, the server will be closing on May 15. I'm not sure on the exact time of day that the server will be closing yet, but likely either the middle of the day or in the evening, depending on what my schedule looks like on the day of.

Over the last several months I've been paying the server costs out of my own pocket; I was happy to do this for the players that still enjoyed the server, but unfortunately it's reached a point where it's no longer financially viable for me to continue doing so, as the server has very little income while still having the same expenses as before.

If you've purchased Donation Credits in the last 30 days and would like a refund, please feel free to message me and I'll process it for you.

Also, for those that may want to grab images of their characters, keep in mind that the main website will also be closed shortly after the server, including the sprite renderer module. The forums will be kept up for a while longer; I currently have no planned date for closing them, but if there are any posts you want to keep it would be a good idea to save them sooner rather than later just to be safe.

Thank you to all of the players that supported the server and helped it grow over the years, and to the many members of the staff team throughout the server's life that helped keep it running.

Posted (edited)

Will you ever make another server? When things calm down for example.

Also if anything, we should make a discord server for those interested in keeping up with each other.

Or the poring burgers discord can serve as that.

Edited by Sakuretsu

thank you perry, for the best server in recent years <3

too bad people come and go, wish you all the best and hoping in the future you'll be rich enough to buy out Ragnarok Online and make your own version of it for thousands of players, prayge.

9 hours ago, Sakuretsu said:

Will you ever make another server? When things calm down for example.

Also if anything, we should make a discord server for those interested in keeping up with each other.

Or the poring burgers discord can serve as that.

This will be my official exit from the RO development community, so I don't have any plans to open another server in the future. I'll be putting my focus into my main career goal of starting a game development studio now, with plans to start working full time on that within the next couple months.

I'd definitely be open to joining any Discord servers that are made to keep in touch with the community, and I do plan to keep the Poring Burgers server up for the foreseeable future as well.

6 hours ago, Vyra said:

hoping in the future you'll be rich enough to buy out Ragnarok Online and make your own version of it for thousands of players

I did actually consider this recently lmao, not buying it out entirely but the idea of getting an official license to run a server in the future. It's probably unlikely that they would ever allow an official server to be highly customized like this one though. That and I'm intending to focus primarily on solo and coop games, so it's unlikely that I'll ever work in the MMO space again, at least within my current plans. I won't rule it out entirely though. :P

7 hours ago, Perry the Platypus said:

I'll be putting my focus into my main career goal of starting a game development studio now, with plans to start working full time on that within the next couple months.

If you get started on that game development studio, I can help jumpstart your technical art department since I made some cool training materials for Unity/Unreal (Had to because of Art Director work). Mostly tackling shaders, lighting, post-production and particle systems. Let me know if you're down for it my dude

Also, RIP Anomaly. I'm gonna miss you forever disguise event ;(

10 hours ago, Perry the Platypus said:

That and I'm intending to focus primarily on solo and coop games

hopign for a good rpg games i wouldnt mind supporting like some good JRPG style/souls like game, i'll preoder isntantly if its good no Kapp

4 hours ago, Ceres said:

If you get started on that game development studio, I can help jumpstart your technical art department since I made some cool training materials for Unity/Unreal (Had to because of Art Director work). Mostly tackling shaders, lighting, post-production and particle systems. Let me know if you're down for it my dude

I could use more artists (it's just myself + one artist to start out), but obviously as with any startup, tight budget. Granted I do eventually need a proper 2D lighting system as well (Unity's is useless in its current state), but that's for a future project, so not any time soon.

1 hour ago, Vyra said:

hopign for a good rpg games i wouldnt mind supporting like some good JRPG style/souls like game, i'll preoder isntantly if its good no Kapp

The vast majority of my favourite games have been RPGs, or at least have had RPG elements, so that'll probably be reflected in the games we end up making. :P What we actually end up doing down the road heavily depends on how successful we are though; in theory the dream would be to work on games like MHW, Skyrim, Kenshi, etc, but that would require an enormous amount of money (a lot of employees), so we'll be starting simple, most likely a platformer/RPG hybrid to start with, and working our way up from there.

2 hours ago, Perry the Platypus said:

I could use more artists (it's just myself + one artist to start out), but obviously as with any startup, tight budget. Granted I do eventually need a proper 2D lighting system as well (Unity's is useless in its current state), but that's for a future project, so not any time soon.

Yeah dude, Unity's 2D lighting is pretty shit by itself. URP is good, but not optimized enough for games to be playable on standard setups. And I totally understand regarding start-ups, I can assist though if you want to hit it off in Discord.

Anything related to Unity's UI canvas components or 2D lighting/setting up shaders, we can talk about when you get the time. I don't 100% demand payment at all, more likely just a friend paying his dues LOL

21 hours ago, Perry the Platypus said:

The vast majority of my favourite games have been RPGs, or at least have had RPG elements, so that'll probably be reflected in the games we end up making. :P What we actually end up doing down the road heavily depends on how successful we are though; in theory the dream would be to work on games like MHW, Skyrim, Kenshi, etc, but that would require an enormous amount of money (a lot of employees), so we'll be starting simple, most likely a platformer/RPG hybrid to start with, and working our way up from there.

great, MHW and Kenshi is in it, you have me hooked.

Thanks alot, i had fun earlier on, and the coding experience was interesting considering thats a game ive played so long ago.

I have... started a certain process that I think ill keep secret for now (not a server especially after gravity anounced that theyd be cracking down on private servers).

The server has now been officially closed. Thank you again to everyone that played the server! The main website (and wiki) will be closed soon, after I've updated the login system, but as mentioned the forums will remain open for the foreseeable future.

Dear Peryy...many thanks alot for a many years during covid and and those MCO ...this game is entertaining my whole family,

I recently sad to hear about closing this server.

my kids will missing their character as well those pets

RIP anomaly RO

such a good memoirs will have

all those chars and event game.

Many thanks again.

omg im jst a little bit late, was too bz in real life...& now im jst too late to even say goodbye to so many close ones here, & didnt get any farewell pic together...

I'm glad to see you finally exiting the RO scene, Perry. I'd still like to extend both my thanks, for both Inertia and Anomalry, as well as congratulations on two very good server runs.

Sad I missed it! Thank you for the journey from Inertia to Anomaly! It truly had the best memories. This server will always have a special place in my heart, always. Best wishes on your future endeavors, Perry!

On 7/10/2022 at 10:09 PM, Force Lux said:

I regret missing it! I appreciate the trip from inertia to anomaly. It had, in fact, the nicest recollections. I will always hold a particular place in my heart for this server. Perry, best of luck with your upcoming pursuits!